Monday, July 4, 2011

Why Vintage Singers?


My mission is to reinvigorate interest in old Singer sewing machines, and help those already using them. In this age of plastic junk, it's incredibly satisfying to use an all-metal machine that was made over 50 years ago and still runs like it was brand new. A well-cared-for or well-restored Singer will run forever and do its job with excellence. If you've ever seen the beautiful straight stitch laid down by a well-tuned Singer then you know what I mean. If you don't know what I mean, you will after I populate this blog with enough entries.


Singer would take twenty- or thirty-pound chunks of cast iron and precision-machine them into refined, powerful and versatile tools. They dominated the global sewing machine market from roughly the late 1800s to the 1950s. They made the best stuff, designed by the best engineers, manufactured using the best techniques with the best materials. That's why the machines are still around. I have an expensive fancy-schmancy cell phone that is state-of-the-art, and chances are I won't have it in two years; it will break or become obsolete. Similarly, the computer you're reading this on is not something you'll give to your grandchildren. But I've fixed up thrift-store Singers that I know will still be sewing after I'm dead.


The machines I've fixed will last not because I'm some kinda super-mechanic, but because they are designed incredibly intelligently and built with durable materials. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to perform the basic operations necessary to get them running, so I hope you will not be too intimidated to try them. The basic mechanical principles they operate on were worked out in the 1800s. With just a little effort you can turn a frozen-up boat-anchor Singer into a lifelong machine, and I want to help you do that by sharing what I learn as I go along.


I could not have learned to use and fix these machines without the generosity of many individuals on the Vintage Singer Yahoo Group, the Featherweight Group, the WeFixIt Group, the sewing machine repair teacher Ray White, and a number of very patient individuals. Sadly I've never even corresponded with some of these people directly and at least two of them passed away before I ever had a chance to thank them for their generosity. 

So here I would like to thank some people. I do not mean to claim these people endorse me, and if I accidentally give out incorrect information I want it to be clear the fault lies with me. I want to thank (in alphabetical order) Barbara L.G., Bill E., Bill H., Bill R., Chuck G., Dave M., Ed L., Graham F., Graham F.'s "Singer motor guy" indirectly, Jenny G., Leo K., McKenna L., both Ray. W's, everyone from Ray White's NC 2011 class, and many others whom I'm sure I have forgotten to list, for their time and knowledge. I will pay the favor forward and pass your generosity on to as many people as I can.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Can't wait to read more. Love the photo of the gem featured in the post. So shiny, like a brand new Cadillac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing more machines and information on your blog! Congratulations on starting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to more of your blog. Always good information from you in the yahoo groups

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your posts on the vintage singers board and look forward to reading your blog. Glad you decided to share info in this format also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just getting interested in vintage Singers and I think your blog will be a great help to me as I learn. Good luck going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your blog through Peter. I am looking forward to getting to know my Featherweight better, inside and out. Thank you for being a resource!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to add to the rest of the comments about how excited I am that you are taking the time to write this blog and in such exquisite detail. I am a new member on the yahoo groups and very intimidated with all the information to sort through on there. I love my Singer and definitely don't want to screw it up. Your blog is giving me the confidence I needed to tackle the cleaning and such that I'm sure she needs. I can't wait to get started...must get the hubby to find those gunsmithing screwdrivers...Thanks so much for being willing to share your knowledge and for doing it in such a great format!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited I just found your blog. Wow! I'm in heaven!! I love the Singer 99ks! I'm going to convert one to hand wheel and I found your info on the hand wheels so informative!! THANK YOU!
    katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rain,
    As a fellow vintage Singer Sewing machine user, collector, and refurbisher, I share your enthusiasm for these incredible pieces of Americana. I recognize many of the names and like you, am grateful that others are so willing to share their knowledge of these treasures w us. As such, I thank you for this gift of a blog :)
    Best,
    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your post and I am learning how to restore my newly acquired Singer 99K. It has tension problem and hopefully by reading here, I will learn some trick how to fix it. I am very proud to own one of these machines.

    ReplyDelete